Friday, February 4, 2011

9 days to go...

It is very surreal yet exciting knowing that after planning this exchange for the past 10 months and going through eternal lists and organising, that finally I am only days away from going away and experiencing everything...

I am really looking forward to this exchange, especially as an external experience and insight into how other art institutions are influenced by their surrounding cultures. I feel very positive about going away as it is going to be a wonderful opportunity to expand my knowledge of the arts and to meet other students in this crucial stage of self exploration.

In the exchange I really want to question my practice and truly grasp it. I want to explore and experiment my processes through different mediums and concepts which I have never come against. I feel that this experience will be a transitionary moment within my artistic development and give me a bigger perspective and view point within my work.

The wonderful thing about going away is that you have both the internal and external space to become anything and anyone. Because I will be interacting with people and working alongside tutors that I am not familiar with, theres is an essence of freedom and openness. It means that I can allow my art to speak for me and also explore who I want to be as an artist.

I have a good reading list whilst I'm away, and they are all slightly linked to the sense of entering new spaces as part of a journey. 'The Practice of Everyday Life' written by Michel de Certeau looks at the elements of Performance within everyday life and studies the presence of people within their environments. I think that this will be especially interesting as it will be a good way to reflect Certeau's philosophies of exploring everyday life within my own journeys.  I feel it is when we enter a new city or environment that we become much more aware of ourselves and how we inhabit them...



I also plan to read 'London Orbital', which is written by Iain Sinclair. This book was recommended to me by a friend and he said it was very interesting as it is narrated through the sound trail of a city.  Sinclair writes his story, referencing the interesting topic of 'psycho-geography'. I like this terminolgy and I look forward to learning about about his journey and the perspective of meeting a city through its sounds and invisible imprints, rather than its visible ones; to get truly lost within a city.
                                                                                 ~

When I am in Milan I very much want to immerse myself within the city; I want to become a a part of it and at the same time I want to discover new things about myself...I feel that by having this separation from what I know and being away is going to be an extreme eye opener not only as an artist, but also as an individual~ I am especially looking forward to meeting other aspiring artists from all over the world and interacting with them to create an open dialogue between many different cultures, concepts and ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment